Sunday, July 19, 2009

It was turning into a crazy summer!

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Econoline, but it's a rust bucket and had left me stranded.  I recently went on a road trip as a seller a few hours drive away advertised a pair of Econoline Cargo Vans for sale.  I thought either they would be better candidates for builds, or would yield precious parts.  So my buddy and I went for a drive to see them, do a deal.  Trailer loaded up, ready to go.  Actually, right near where we found them, there was a salvage yard with a couple first generation (1964-66) Chevy Vans that were in very bad shape!  I only know of one Chev in Saskatchewan that runs.  But I had to stay focussed... I already have a project!

After loading up one van on the trailer and heading back, through the trees, I saw what looked like a solid pink Econoline!  So we pulled in unannounced and took a look.

Not only was it an Econoline, but it was a Mercury!


 
This van was in better shape than the other two, but ugly... so ugly that the owner was proud that it was the recipient of the "Ugliest Rez Car" during a parade and event held by his First Nations Band!

"Grimstone"? That pink paint doesn't look very grim!  Other than that, I see a bad rocker panel, lots of dents, a distorted roof, and a smelly bingo-themed interior (used cards taped to the interior wood panels) to go with the bingo dauber on the antenna and vanity plate on the front!
After having blown my budget, and exchanging numbers with the owner, here I am a couple months later, driving home in the Grimstone van!  A drive that should have taken me three hours to complete took me ten!  The little 170 c.i. Falcon Six engine was overheating, and the carb had a stuck float, forcing me to pull over every half hour to let it cool down!  But I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment